Guide to St. Mary's, North Mymms - text: Patricia Cook, Di Lee
St. Mary's has been the parish church in North Mymms for over 700 years.
This lithograph was drawn by R and J A Brandon and published in 1848 in Brandon's Parish Churches.
It shows the spire which was removed for safety reasons in 1953.
1237 First priest, Thomas de St. Albans
1328 Licence granted by Bishop of Lincoln to Simon de Swanland, Lord of the Manor, to build a church. St. Catherine's Chapel dates from this period.
1340/50 Chancel, nave and aisles much as they are today, but roof timbers not covered.
1348-51 Black Death caused over one million deaths in England. Plans for a central tower abandoned.
1344-61 William de Kesteven vicar. His brass on wall W of chancel.
1428 Thomas Knolles bought Manor of North Mymms from the de Swanland family, and probably built the W tower, moving the Norman doorway.
1455-1471 War of the Roses battles in St Albans and Barnet.
1520 Elizabeth Frowick, granddaughter of the last Knolles, married John Coningsby from Lincoln. Their family had influence in the parish for over 300 years.
c1590 North Mymms House built by Sir Ralph Coningsby.
1702 Lord Chancellor Lord John Somers bought Brookmans, dying there in 1716. He is buried beneath the floor of the chancel.
1859 Major restoration to the church. Vaults sealed, brasses removed from the floor, box pews removed, and the nave re-pewed.
1871 Further restoration, encaustic tiles laid in the Sanctuary, and choir stalls in the chancel. During this time the blank wall between the chancel and St. Catherine's chapel was removed and replaced by the present partition.
1894 The piped (Bevington) organ installed. Pipeless organ installed in 1991.
1921 Robed choir, now in the chancel. Up until this time the patron and family had sat in the chancel, the choir in the chapel beside the organ. Electric light installed.
1966 Roof re-tiled.
1969-71 Tower restoration, new kneelers, new heating, chapel floor exposed.
1977 Parish Room built after sale of Old Vicarage.
1991-2 Major restoration, including stonework of W doorway, new drainage and uncovering of Holy Water Stoup.
1998 New Parish Room built, and called St. Michael's Room, after a former Chapel-of-Ease in Brookmans Park.
About St Mary's
- Summer Festival
- How to find us
- Who's Who
- What's on
- Know Your Church
- Bishops Hatfield Team Ministry
- United Reformed Church, Brookmans Park
- St Thomas More Catholic Church, Welham Green